New Jogo do Pau Study groups

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Frederico Martins
Is on speaking terms
Is on speaking terms
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
New Jogo do Pau Study groups

Post by Frederico Martins » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Good Day everyone,

I want to announce the Jogo do Pau International Study Groups Program I'm developing with Luis Preto to help promote the practice of jogo do pau around the world.

This program was thought specially for international western martial arts groups that show interest in this art, and to provide, possibly the only way to learn Jogo do Pau with a qualified instructor outside of Portugal.

This program will work in the following way:

There will be a JdP instructor that will regularly provide exercises for the group to work with, in form of text, images, and video, to help them understand what is necessary. From that on, the group will have a very close following of it's development by the instructor, answering questions and most important, from time to time the group will be required to record videos of exercises executed the best they can for instructor's review. This level of interaction will help maintain the quality of the technical development of the group.

How will this work?

The group will be leaded by a Group Coordinator, that will be responsible for the development of the other members and for the communication with the instructor, this leader will have a very important role in the process.

This role is specially oriented to someone that has experience with martial arts and teaching, so he can organize and teach a group the information provided by the instructor, and manage that entire interaction.

The instructor and director of the program is Luis Preto, some of you must him, a respected jogo do pau instructor, with a degree in Sport Sciences and author of the book "Jogo do Pau: The Ancient Art and Modern Science of Portuguese Stick Fighting", so you know you are in good hands and learning Jogo do Pau from a valuable source.

You can know more about Luis Preto here: http://www.jogodopauportugues.com/progr ... uctor.html

This program requires a membership fee, that will be 30euros/month per group, no matter if you have 3, 10 or more members, so you can divide that amount as you like.

We will have a website that will have the groups under our program listed, so any individual that wants to join a official group will know where they are.

But keep in mind that this program is only directed at dedicated groups, that will have a place to practice and regular classes. The number of classes you can have is flexible but we are aiming at a quality work and to provide the best development possible with the distance difficulties this provides.

The fee is not to be listed on the website or to be part of the group only as a formality, but to have access to exercises and materials, and most importantly, direct, tight and regular communication with a high qualified instructor that will provide you the best learning tools and full accompaniment of the group's development.

Being part of this study groups don't require any kind of group or membership exclusivity, on the other side, it is aimed to work with existing groups and be a valuable addition to their current work.

You can find more detailed information on our website here:
http://www.jogodopauportugues.com/program/

We just started and I have been talking with Roger, he says he needs more people to be able to support the costs, I hope we can find enough interested people to make this work with the GHFS.

If you are from GHFS please contact Roger Norling, if not, but are interested in starting a group under this program, send us an email at: lusitanfencing@gmail.com
Feel free to ask any questions.
Cheers.
Last edited by Frederico Martins on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger N
Site Admin
Site Admin
Weapons:Longsword, quarterstaff, dussack, dagger

Re: New Jogo do Pau Study groups

Post by Roger N » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Just a quick little note, Frederico. Your post is a little unclear on the fee. The fee is 30€/month.

Also, I am not sure about the costs yet, but with few members it is higher than the individual members pay for membership with GHFS, which might be problematic for university students. Still, I haven't brought up the exact cost with the members yet. I am pretty convinced we will be having a JdP group, one way or another. :)

This is great! :)
Roger Norling

Quarterstaff instructor
Gothenburg Free Fencers Guild

Member of MFFG
http://www.freifechter.com

Member of HEMAC
http://www.hemac.org

Chief editor HROARR
http://www.hroarr.com
Frederico Martins
Is on speaking terms
Is on speaking terms
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Frederico Martins » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:25 am

Corrected that, thank you.

I'm waiting for it to work out nicely, thanks alot for your support too!
Sternis
Is on speaking terms
Is on speaking terms
Club:GHFS
Weapons:Longword, spear

Post by Sternis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:35 pm

I am interested in joining the study group under Roger.
I actually don't have that much problem with the fee, since split up in a couple of people it won't be that expensive (and I'm supposed to be the poor student in the group). Also, when the other people at GHFS see how much fun we have, they would want to join us to. :)
Frederico Martins
Is on speaking terms
Is on speaking terms

Post by Frederico Martins » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:15 pm

That is great to know Sternis.
I'm sure you will have some fun, Luis usually introduces some randomness early on the exercices that makes them much enjoyable and fun.
Just today we made some clips for the exercices he has developed, so we almost have the first bunch of material ready to start, so when you guys find enough people, we are up to go!

Return to “Open Discussion”