Line by Line Dussack Poem

Here we discuss everything related to the Dussack.

Moderators:K.Maurer, Kevin Maurer, C. VanSlambrouck, mike cartier, C.VanSlambrouck

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kevin Maurer
Is on speaking terms
Is on speaking terms
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Line by Line Dussack Poem

Post by Kevin Maurer » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

I think we ought to break this Poem down Line by line or at least verse by verse. In my opinion, these actually culminate with several lines. Much like the Sword Zettel. And we know that this Poem was reprinted in Rösener's book also. So it seems important to me. Here is the complete poem, and we could discuss the various meanings that we take from each verse. I have divided them into six verses, but really the continuity flows best when they are all together. But for sake of dissecting, I divided them.

The beginning.
I take it to mean in the first three lines, that we are supposed to extend with our cuts, and afterward we should "Hang over" forward, and our bodies should be traveling far also. What does that mean? our bodies should go far also? Why would Meyer want us to do that? Deceptively baiting the opponent to counter you, could be one reason. But extending like this is dangerous, it puts you in a very open and vulnerable position. Here you gotta be quick.
But I think the main thing Meyer is trying to convey is that he wants us to move greater distances, and not just be stationary. Doing this would eliminate the option of snipping back and forth at brief openings. I think the deliberate nature of dussack fighting is based on this moving into the target, engaging the target and then moving out of the target's measure. Lots of Vor is probably better. Forcing the opponent to fight is highly recommended by Meyer in all of his weapons' systems. But with the dussack, we see how dynamic and deceptive you can be with this shorter weapon. So maybe even the shorter length of the weapon was a reason Meyer would advocate fighting long and far away from yourself? What do you all think?

With this weapon extend far and long,
hang over forward after the cut.
With your body step far as well
;

send in your cuts powerfully around him.
To all four targets let them fly;
with comportment and pulling you can deceive him.
You shall parry in the strong,
and meanwhile injure him with the weak.

Also you shall come no nearer
than where you can reach him with a step.

When he is about to run in at you,
the point drives him from you.
But if he has run in on you,
with gripping and wrestling you shall be the first.

Pay heed to the strong and weak,
‘Instantly’ makes the openings apparent.
Also step correctly in the Before and After;
watch diligently for the right time,
and do not let yourself be easily unnerved.(Forgeng Trans.)

The other thing that is interesting about this Poem is, why was it not included in the 1560, which was a very basic lesson to the dussack? I wonder if it was because the Poem form was more commonly used by burghers and not for the educated Royals? Did this poem even exist in 1560? not sure. Did Meyer write it? etc.
mike cartier
Is on speaking terms
Is on speaking terms
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Line by Line Dussack Poem

Post by mike cartier » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 pm

I have never heard of another Dussack poem have you? I knowl the Lichtey poem for longsword is in several manuals meyer included

maybe it was based upon it and a new one for Dussack was made?

Return to “Dussack”